One of the reasons for the delay in putting up the rest of the scaffolding on Capstan House has been because of the underground car park.
They have to put supports in the car park that correspond to supports above ground. A few people have had to give up their parking spaces for the duration and move to either the open air carpark attached to 7 Anchor Street or to a car park in “Greenwich” which I understand is the one just up Patteson Road beyond Anchor Street. This has caused a lot of inconvenience and some rancour but seems to be a necessary part of the work.
Here are a series of images of the current state of play in the car park so you can see the level of work required.
I like the little warning flashers.
Up on the Podium things are moving on apace with the scaffolding on 7 Anchor Street rising up with the wrap on the Waterfront side complete.
Our side of the Podium is also wrapped as far as they can go.
The rest of the block is waiting for the Car Park situation to be sorted. I did notice how careful the scaffolders have to be as can be seen around the Podium door where they have had to cut into the paving stones to get to a stable floor.
Lastly, I can finally show you what it looks like to be wrapped as they have now covered us in. Our balcony surround was taken away a week or so ago and now we are fully wrapped. This is the view from your living room window.
It is liveable, I suppose but I am glad that it is winter.
I had a long conversation with Steve, the site manager for Carters. It seems that they are pretty much on schedule so that’s good news. Most of the delays that he tells me about were all factored into the plan. They are still waiting on ORSA to come and sign off on the West, or Waterfront side of the building and, until that happens, they can’t get on with the work there, which is the placing of the new insulation.
One small glitch that I picked up on, courtesy of my weekly e-mail from Liz, our local councillor, is that the east side of Capstan House had to have planning approval for the replacement of the wood. It seems that approval had been given for “brown” cedar to be used as a replacement for the non-fire resistant covering currently there. However, this would look wrong because the existing cedar has weathered to a silvery finish. To replace the wood with a “new” finish needs planning approval, evidently. The wood has been obtained and we are now waiting for the approval and the scaffolding.